Can I travel to the US with a DUI?

judge, gavel, and glass of whiskey on gray

Can I travel to the US with a DUI?

Can I travel to the US with a DUI?” is a crucial inquiry for those planning a visit to the United States with such a conviction. It is challenging to enter the United States with a DUI, and driving under the influence or DWI-driving while drunk is a grave violation in both the US and Canada. However, it may be punished differently at the border.

In general, people who have been convicted of a DUI will not be allowed to enter Canada. The US will look at the conviction itself, the circumstances surrounding it, and if you have previous DUI convictions on your criminal record or other convictions in addition to the DUI conviction.

How to Enter the US with a DUI?

Any criminal record can result in entrance into the United States being denied at a land border or another point of entry, such as an airport. So even if you have been convicted of DUI, you still have alternatives.

A specific document known as a United States Waiver of Inadmissibility is available for many, but not all, of the conditions that would result in inadmissibility to the United States. t is available for certain conditions that can lead to inadmissibility, such as criminal offenses, immigration violations, or health-related issues. These waivers are usually valid for five years and must be displayed at all times while entering the nation.

You must apply for a waiver in person at a specified port of entry and carry a substantial quantity of evidence and the two application forms necessary for a United States waiver. Information about your links to your native nation, an RCMP certificate if you’re Canadian, local court records, character references, and a short personal statement will be requested as supporting documents. It is important to note that obtaining a waiver does not guarantee admission to the United States. Immigration officers still have discretion to deny entry or impose additional conditions upon arrival, even with a valid waiver. The waiver simply provides an opportunity for individuals who would otherwise be inadmissible to seek entry into the country.

What do customs authorities in the US say regarding DUIs and travel to the US?

According to the US Customs and Border Protection Agency, “A single DUI conviction is not grounds for denial of entry into the United States.” “Multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction combined with additional minor charges, on the other hand, might render a person ineligible and require the signing of a waiver before entering the United States.”

If you have a DUI in Canada and plan to go to the United States, you must still follow specific procedures to guarantee that you are permitted to cross the border.

Is it Possible for US Customs to Examine my Criminal Record?

This is a typical concern among those seeking to enter the United States with a criminal past. The Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC), a component of the RCMP, manages national Canadian police databases, to which the US Customs and Border Protection Agency has access. To facilitate immigration, commerce, and travel, CPIC permits US customs authorities to view criminal records, non-conviction records, cases under investigation, criminal intelligence information, and motor vehicle and driver registration information.

Remember that not all data collected locally will be sent to the CPIC database. If a charge or conviction is shown in the national Canadian police database, border agents in the United States can examine it.

Can I Enter the United States Despite a Felony Conviction?

The number and types of convictions impact the response to this question. One summary offense, for example, is not usually enough to prevent you from entering the United States, especially if the offense is considered minor by US authorities. However, a pattern of multiple convictions, especially for more serious offenses, can lead to heightened scrutiny and potential denial of entry. The discretion ultimately rests with the US Border Agent evaluating your case at the border.

It’s vital to remember that you’ll have to offer credible documents to verify the nature of your crimes. You will most likely be denied entrance if they believe your paperwork is insufficient to substantiate the nature of the conviction.

Attempting to cross the border without a waiver from the US

Even if the conviction was a minor summary offense, you are likely to be denied entry if you attempt to cross the border with a criminal record and disclose it to a US Border Agent without any supporting documentation. You’ll very indeed be instructed to bring the documentation the next time.

Suppose you return to the border with a criminal record check that shows your minor conviction isn’t a summary offense. In that case, you’ll almost certainly be denied admission and be asked to present supporting court paperwork. The cycle can be pretty aggravating because it might repeat itself several times.

In this scenario, the optimum strategy would have been to file for a US waiver and get a ruling from the US government. However, whether or not you require a waiver to enter the United States, you will obtain a written determination, which will avoid the problems and headaches of the prior situation.

Contact Pardon Applications of Canada Today

Get in touch with the Pardon Applications of Canada to ensure your issues are handled by our affiliated immigration experts, who are knowledgeable and experienced. Our experts include lawyers, qualified paralegals, and consultants.  Understanding the implications of having a DUI conviction when traveling to the US is crucial. While it may pose challenges, it is not an absolute barrier. By seeking legal advice, following the necessary procedures, and demonstrating rehabilitation, individuals can increase their chances of being granted entry. Do you still ask yourself the question “Can I travel to the US with a DUI?” Contact Pardon Applications of Canada today for invaluable guidance on US waivers and more. Are you ready to take the next step? Call Pardon Application of Canada at (866) 383-9744 to schedule a one-on-one consultation.

PAC’s Ongoing Service Commitment

Email [email protected]
Schedule a Call
My Account Dashboard