All You Need to Know About the U.S. Waiver in Canada

One of the first pieces of paperwork you should get as a new Canadian permanent resident is Form I-551, commonly referred to as the green card or U.S. waiver in Canada. This card proves that you’re allowed to stay in Canada and serves as the basis for your status as a permanent resident—you can’t travel outside of Canada without it! This article will provide an overview of the U.S. waiver in Canada, including what it is, how to apply, and what happens if you lose your green card or let it expire after becoming a Canadian permanent resident.