How to Travel to the US with a Criminal Record

By 21 September 2017October 5th, 2023No Comments

A criminal record will likely make you inadmissible to the United States; however,  Canadian citizens who have been or are likely to be denied entry may apply for a US Waiver.

The application process can be daunting, and there are many documents that must be collected and completed before you can apply. While there is no guarantee that your application will be approved, those with a criminal record are often denied simply because of an incomplete or improperly filled-in application. Don’t make this mistake.

Pardon Applications of Canada can help you obtain a US Entry Waiver to allow you to travel freely to the USA.

Here’s some more information.

Rejections at the Border on the Rise

 According to The Globe And Mail, more than 27,000 people were turned away at the US/Canada in 2016, an increase of nearly 7% over the previous year. The growing number of stories of border guards using their ultimate authority to refuse entry, sometimes without an explanation, is cause for concern for those wishing to travel south to see family or vacation.

Reasons for Inadmissibility

 There are many reasons a Canadian may be refused entry to the USA. The most common reasons being:

  • Crimes of Moral Turpitude: If you’ve committed a crime of moral turpitude over the age of 18, you may be inadmissible to the USA. These crimes include burglary, manslaughter, and aggravated battery.
  • If You Have a Communicable Disease
  • Controlled Substance Violations

Your ability to travel will depend on the nature of your crimes, your age, and the frequency of your crimes. Obtaining a waiver will allow you to travel to the USA with a criminal record.

How to Apply for a US Entry Waiver

Obtaining a waiver to travel to the US with a criminal record involves many steps. First you must:

  • Confirm that you are ineligible for entry (via fingerprint)
  • Request your criminal record from the RCMP

 While this is being processed, you must begin accumulating supporting documentation. The USA requires:

  • A signed personal statement describing the circumstances of your ineligibility, your travel plans, and your rehabilitation
  • References testifying in regards to your rehabilitation
  • Proof of employment and income
  • Drug tests (if your inadmissibility is drug related)

 From there, you will have to fill out The Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non Immigrant (form I-192). You must also fill out form G-325A with your biographical information. Your application must be submitted either at an eligible port of entry or at a US Preclearance Office in Canada.

There is no guarantee that your application will be approved; however, the grounds for denial are often as simple as an incomplete application.

If you’d like to take the first steps toward obtaining your US Entry Waiver, take a free qualification test.

PAC’s Ongoing Service Commitment

Email [email protected]
Schedule a Call
My Account Dashboard