Can I Apply for a Pardon Only, and Add the Waiver Down the Road?

Yes, you can apply for a Canadian Pardon, which is officially known as a Record Suspension, independently of a U.S. Waiver. The two processes are separate and cater to different aspects of your legal record. A Pardon effectively seals your criminal record from public visibility in Canada, which can benefit you in various ways such as employment within the country.

If you plan to travel to the United States, a U.S. Entry Waiver is necessary because the U.S. does not recognize a Canadian Pardon. This means that without a Waiver, the U.S. border officials can deny you entry based on your past conviction, regardless of whether you’ve received a Pardon in Canada.

You have the option to apply for the Waiver at any time after obtaining your Pardon, but it’s important to remember that obtaining a Pardon does not affect the U.S. Waiver process or its outcome. If you anticipate the need to travel to the U.S., you might want to consider starting the Waiver application process in due time, as it can be quite lengthy and detailed.